Uncertainty in Streaming: What Lies Ahead for Disney and Hulu?

The Clock Is Ticking

As part of a $71 billion deal in 2019, Disney (DIS) acquired a 33% stake in streaming service Hulu from Fox (FOX). That gave Disney 67% ownership of Hulu, leaving Comcast (CMCSA) with the remaining 33%. At the time, Comcast agreed to hold on to its stake, temporarily saving Disney from spending billions of dollars. The deal contains a provision that allows Comcast to force Disney to purchase its stake in January 2024, at a minimum total valuation of $27.5 billion.

The total purchase price could ultimately be adjusted higher by an independent third party. It’s an atypical structure and leaves Disney facing a bit of a crossroads.

Rise of Streaming

The general consensus among industry observers is that Hulu has an undefined role within Disney’s media kingdom. Disney+ is now the company’s flagship streaming program, boasting 138 million global subscribers as of early April. Hulu has just over 41 million subscribers by comparison, and is only available in the US.

The streaming landscape has changed significantly since Disney and Comcast made their agreement in 2019 and global media companies have begun to focus on streaming television in earnest. Comcast launched its Peacock streaming service in 2020 after a three-month testing period. Disney went forward with Disney+, as opposed to leaning on Hulu and attempting to expand its streaming offerings that way.

How Hulu Could Fit In

Some analysts argue while Hulu may seem like an awkward fit for Disney, it still offers plenty of upside. Hulu’s 2022 advertising revenue is estimated at $2.7 billion, which is near the top for streaming services. It also enjoys stronger brand recognition than most competitors due to the fact that it has been around for 15 years.

Some have expressed concerns that if Hulu is simply added as an option to Disney+, it could raise the cost without ultimately boosting the consumer experience. It’s still possible Comcast could decide to switch things up and buyout Disney, becoming Hulu’s majority owner. That would allow Peacock to become a free ad-supported tier, with Hulu as the premium content hub. Billions of dollars and the developing future of streaming could be at stake, and Hulu is smack dab in the middle of an interesting conundrum.

Things are changing daily within the financial world. Sign up for the SoFi Daily Newsletter to get the latest news updates in your inbox every weekday.

Sign up

Please understand that this information provided is general in nature and shouldn’t be construed as a recommendation or solicitation of any products offered by SoFi’s affiliates and subsidiaries. In addition, this information is by no means meant to provide investment or financial advice, nor is it intended to serve as the basis for any investment decision or recommendation to buy or sell any asset. Keep in mind that investing involves risk, and past performance of an asset never guarantees future results or returns. It’s important for investors to consider their specific financial needs, goals, and risk profile before making an investment decision.
The information and analysis provided through hyperlinks to third party websites, while believed to be accurate, cannot be guaranteed by SoFi. These links are provided for informational purposes and should not be viewed as an endorsement. No brands or products mentioned are affiliated with SoFi, nor do they endorse or sponsor this content.
Communication of SoFi Wealth LLC an SEC Registered Investment Adviser
SoFi isn’t recommending and is not affiliated with the brands or companies displayed. Brands displayed neither endorse or sponsor this article. Third party trademarks and service marks referenced are property of their respective owners.

All your finances.
All in one app.

SoFi QR code, Download now, scan this with your phone’s camera

All your finances.
All in one app.

App Store rating

SoFi iOS App, Download on the App Store SoFi Android App, Get it on Google Play

James Flippin ABOUT James Flippin James Flippin is the son of a financial advisor who grew up hearing and learning about bond yields, interest rates, the stock market, and the ins and outs of Wall Street. After stints as a licensing and business broker for Marcus and Millichap in New York City, James moved into broadcasting and became a reporter and anchor. He covered crime, politics, finance, and tech at NBC News Radio while working part-time as a producer for SiriusXM. James graduated from the University of Delaware with a bachelor’s degree in political science and economics. He's also an accomplished podcaster with over 10-years of experience.

TLS 1.2 Encrypted
Equal Housing Lender