Hyundai Buys Majority Stake in Boston Dynamics

A Win-Win Partnership

Hyundai (HYMTF), the South Korean automaker, announced it is purchasing a controlling interest in Boston Dynamics, the semi-infamous robotics company. The investment values Boston Dynamics at $1.1 billion. Through the deal, Hyundai will own an 80% stake in the company and SoftBank (SFTBY) will control the remaining 20%.

The deal will have advantages for both companies. Boston Dynamics will gain access to Hyundai’s in-house manufacturing resources, which will allow it to scale production of its products. Hyundai, on the other hand, will have the opportunity to incorporate Boston Dynamics’ technology into a number of projects it is working on, from automated factories to self-driving cars to delivery robots.

P.S. SoftBank is also a SoFi investor.

Hyundai’s Investments in Robotics

This deal marks the third time Boston Dynamics has changed hands in just seven years. The company was founded at MIT in 1992 and operated as a research firm until Google (GOOGL) bought it in 2013. It was then sold to SoftBank in 2017.

Hyundai has recently made several investments in the robotics industry. It is working on commercializing autonomous driving systems through a partnership with Aptiv (APTV). Hyundai is also developing an all-terrain “walking” car called Elevate. The company says its Ultimate Mobility Vehicle (UMV) could be used for disaster relief, or even for missions to other planets.

Boston Dynamics’ Projects

Boston Dynamics has been at work on science fiction-like projects of its own. It has built and launched a robot that can perform repeated tasks with human-level mobility.

The company also gained attention for its four-legged robot, nicknamed Spot, which can climb stairs and navigate uneven terrain. Spot costs $74,500 and has not sold in large quantities. But now that Boston Dynamics has partnered with Hyundai, the technology used for Spot and other Boston Dynamics projects will be leveraged in new ways.

Please understand that this information provided is general in nature and shouldn’t be construed as a recommendation or solicitation of any products offered by SoFi’s affiliates and subsidiaries. In addition, this information is by no means meant to provide investment or financial advice, nor is it intended to serve as the basis for any investment decision or recommendation to buy or sell any asset. Keep in mind that investing involves risk, and past performance of an asset never guarantees future results or returns. It’s important for investors to consider their specific financial needs, goals, and risk profile before making an investment decision.
The information and analysis provided through hyperlinks to third party websites, while believed to be accurate, cannot be guaranteed by SoFi. These links are provided for informational purposes and should not be viewed as an endorsement. No brands or products mentioned are affiliated with SoFi, nor do they endorse or sponsor this content.
Communication of SoFi Wealth LLC an SEC Registered Investment Advisor
SoFi isn’t recommending and is not affiliated with the brands or companies displayed. Brands displayed neither endorse or sponsor this article. Third party trademarks and service marks referenced are property of their respective owners.

All your finances.
All in one app.

SoFi QR code, Download now, scan this with your phone’s camera

All your finances.
All in one app.

App Store rating

SoFi iOS App, Download on the App Store SoFi Android App, Get it on Google Play

ABOUT SoFi SoFi helps people achieve financial independence to realize their ambitions. Our products for borrowing, saving, spending, investing, and protecting give our more than one million members fast access to tools to get their money right. SoFi membership comes with the key essentials for getting ahead, including career advisors and connection to a thriving community of like-minded, ambitious people. For more information, visit Want an easy and convenient way to manage your financial life? Get the SoFi app. For iOS and Android.

TLS 1.2 Encrypted
Equal Housing Lender