Electric Vehicles Drive Lithium Deal Making

Electric Vehicles Drive Lithium Deal Making

Orocobre Acquires Galaxy Resources

Orocobre is paying $3 billion for rival miner Galaxy Resources (GXY) as deal making in the lithium market heats up amid increased demand for electric vehicles and high-tech gadgets.

If the deal closes, the combined company will be the fifth-largest global lithium miner. Lithium is an important component in EV batteries, and there are growing concerns about lithium shortages as demand for EVs increases. This is driving the price of lithium higher and is spurring deal making. The all-stock deal gives Orocobre shareholders a 54.2% stake in the combined company while Galaxy stockholders will own the remaining 45.8%.

Lithium Prices on the Rise Amid EV Demand

The price for lithium is forecast to rise sharply in the next few years as demand for electric vehicles surges. Tesla (TSLA) is an early leader in the market, but many vehicle manufactures including Ford (F) and General Motors (GM) are pouring billions into the EV market and rolling out electric cars and trucks. Automakers are responding to consumers who want to lower their personal carbon emissions as well as government regulators looking to curb emissions.

Some analysts expect to see a shortage of lithium starting next year which could become more extreme as demand for electric vehicles rises. Lithium prices in China are already increasing in response to strong demand and supply disruptions from producers in Australia.

More M&A in the Works

Orocobre Chief Executive Martín Pérez de Solay will become the CEO of the combined company, while Galaxy Chairman Martin Rowley will become Non-Executive Chairman. The merger will give the two companies more diversification in the types of lithium they mine. The combined entity will also look for acquisitions which could expand its footprint globally. Orocobre’s lithium operation is in northern Argentina and Galaxy’s mine is in Australia. Galaxy also has projects under development in Argentina and Canada.

As demand for electric vehicles increases, there could be more M&A activity in the lithium industry soon.

Things are changing daily within the financial world. Sign up for the SoFi Daily Newsletter to get the latest news updates in your inbox every weekday.

Sign up

Please understand that this information provided is general in nature and shouldn’t be construed as a recommendation or solicitation of any products offered by SoFi’s affiliates and subsidiaries. In addition, this information is by no means meant to provide investment or financial advice, nor is it intended to serve as the basis for any investment decision or recommendation to buy or sell any asset. Keep in mind that investing involves risk, and past performance of an asset never guarantees future results or returns. It’s important for investors to consider their specific financial needs, goals, and risk profile before making an investment decision.
The information and analysis provided through hyperlinks to third party websites, while believed to be accurate, cannot be guaranteed by SoFi. These links are provided for informational purposes and should not be viewed as an endorsement. No brands or products mentioned are affiliated with SoFi, nor do they endorse or sponsor this content.
Communication of SoFi Wealth LLC an SEC Registered Investment Adviser
SoFi isn’t recommending and is not affiliated with the brands or companies displayed. Brands displayed neither endorse or sponsor this article. Third party trademarks and service marks referenced are property of their respective owners.

All your finances.
All in one app.

SoFi QR code, Download now, scan this with your phone’s camera

All your finances.
All in one app.

App Store rating

SoFi iOS App, Download on the App Store SoFi Android App, Get it on Google Play

ABOUT Meg Richardson Meg Richardson is a writer specializing in markets, technology, and personal finance. She loves breaking down seemingly complex ideas and making them readable and interesting for everyone. She holds an MFA in writing from Columbia University. When she is not writing about finance, she enjoys running in Central Park and drawing cartoons.

TLS 1.2 Encrypted
Equal Housing Lender