Vice Media to Go Public Via SPAC

Vice Media to Go Public Via SPAC

Deal Would Value Vice at $3 Billion

Vice Media Group is gearing up to go public through a $3 billion SPAC transaction. SPAC stands for Special Purpose Acquisition Corporation.

Under the proposed deal by the SPAC, 7GC & Co. (VII), existing investors TPG, Disney (DIS), A&E Networks, Vice founder Shane Smith, and Raine Group, would own 75% of the public company. The remaining 25% would go to new investors. Vice’s existing investors will exchange their shares for stock in the public iteration of Vice.

The transaction is seen as a way to get rid of Vice’s obligations to TPG, the private equity firm. TPG owns preferred stock in Vice which enables it to receive additional equity if the media company does not meet certain milestones.

Vice’s Valuation Has Dropped

The $3 billion valuation Vice will receive if a deal transpires is lower than the company’s $5.7 billion valuation in 2017 when TPG invested $450 million into the company.

7GC & Co plans to pitch the deal to investors by positioning Vice Media as an alternative to other new media companies because it is diversified in several areas including film and TV production. It is also still in growth mode. Vice’s revenue hit $600 million in 2020, and it is targeting revenue of $680 million in 2021 and $1 billion by the end of 2023. However, there is no guarantee that 7GC & Co will complete the deal or that there will be sufficient interest from investors.

Other Digital Media Companies Seek Capital to Expand

Vice Media is among a handful of digital media companies evaluating SPAC or merger deals. The digital advertising market is beginning to rebound, but many companies need more capital to scale. BuzzFeed is reportedly in talks to go public via a SPAC while The Athletic, a news website focused on sports, is in talks about a deal with the New York Times (NYT).

Investors may be cautious about this transaction because Vice has failed to deliver on some of its previous forecasts. In 2015, Vice’s founder predicted that the company would hit $1 billion in revenue, a goal which the company has not yet achieved. Investors and leaders across the digital media landscape will be eager to see how Vice’s plans unfold.

Things are changing daily within the financial world. Sign up for the SoFi Daily Newsletter to get the latest news updates in your inbox every weekday.

Sign up

Please understand that this information provided is general in nature and shouldn’t be construed as a recommendation or solicitation of any products offered by SoFi’s affiliates and subsidiaries. In addition, this information is by no means meant to provide investment or financial advice, nor is it intended to serve as the basis for any investment decision or recommendation to buy or sell any asset. Keep in mind that investing involves risk, and past performance of an asset never guarantees future results or returns. It’s important for investors to consider their specific financial needs, goals, and risk profile before making an investment decision.
The information and analysis provided through hyperlinks to third party websites, while believed to be accurate, cannot be guaranteed by SoFi. These links are provided for informational purposes and should not be viewed as an endorsement. No brands or products mentioned are affiliated with SoFi, nor do they endorse or sponsor this content.
Communication of SoFi Wealth LLC an SEC Registered Investment Adviser
SoFi isn’t recommending and is not affiliated with the brands or companies displayed. Brands displayed neither endorse or sponsor this article. Third party trademarks and service marks referenced are property of their respective owners.

All your finances.
All in one app.

SoFi QR code, Download now, scan this with your phone’s camera

All your finances.
All in one app.

App Store rating

SoFi iOS App, Download on the App Store SoFi Android App, Get it on Google Play

ABOUT Meg Richardson Meg Richardson is a writer specializing in markets, technology, and personal finance. She loves breaking down seemingly complex ideas and making them readable and interesting for everyone. She holds an MFA in writing from Columbia University. When she is not writing about finance, she enjoys running in Central Park and drawing cartoons.

TLS 1.2 Encrypted
Equal Housing Lender