Beware of Scammers Impersonating SoFi
Across the finance industry, there’s been an increase in fraudulent and imposter activity, and SoFi has not been spared. With that in mind, we wanted to take a moment to remind you where SoFi operates, how to recognize a scam, and how to report anything you think is suspicious so that we can continue to help keep you on the path to financial independence.
Where SoFi Operates
At this time, SoFi’s Personal Loan, Home Loan, and Student Loan products, as well as SoFi Checking and Savings, Credit Card and Relay are only available in the United States. SoFi offers its Invest platform in the USA and Hong Kong.
Anything claiming to offer SoFi products outside of these geographical locations is a scam! This includes anyone posing as “SoFi India,” “SoFi China,” or any other location outside of the United States and Hong Kong.
How to Recognize Scams
As a general rule of thumb, SoFi will never reach out to you unless you reach out to us first. To help with your account, Our customer service team may ask for an email address, full name, and date of birth for verification. However, we will never ask for personal information such as your password or social security number.
Here are a few pointers on how to spot a scam:
Look & Feel
• Double check that SoFi logo – the circles should be going up and to the right! And we stay consistent with our SoFi brand blue colors.
• On social media, look for the blue verified checkmark and make sure that the username is “SoFi.” Anything that includes extra numbers or words like “bonus,” “giveaway,” “sweepstakes,” or “agent” is a fraudulent account.
• Does the interface look familiar? The official mobile app for SoFi can only be found in the Apple Store and the Google Play Store. Please reference those links for a visual on what our official SoFi app looks like and compare.
• We currently only operate in USD and HKD. Any website or app with an interface in terms of ₹ Rupees, ¥ Yuan, or other currencies claiming to be SoFi is not legitimate.
Contact Details & Messaging
• Check the URL – the site link should only start with sofi.com or sofi.hk
• And same with the contact information – legitimate representatives of SoFi will have an email address ending in @sofi.com or @sofi.org.
• As much as our CEO Anthony Noto loves our members, he’d never text or privately message you on social media. His only official social media account is @AnthonyNoto on Twitter.
• If you do win a giveaway that you forgot you entered, SoFi will never privately message you on social media and ask that you provide your account login information.
• While our customer service team can be reached in a variety of ways (phone, email, live chat, social media), and SoFi Hong Kong uses WhatsApp as well, please double-check the phone numbers and email addresses associated with the message. Those should match with our official contact information:
◦ SoFi Hong Kong contact details
What Is SoFi Doing About This?
We work closely with our social media partners to quickly remove any accounts found impersonating SoFi. If you encounter a suspicious account, we recommend that you BLOCK the account and REPORT it on the social media platform.
For companies and mobile apps that impersonate SoFi, we work with our security team and do everything we can to take them down ASAP.
How to Report Scammers
If you suspect you are the target of scam or that one may be taking place, do not provide any of your personal information. Immediately contact our customer service team at [email protected] and provide screenshots and other details that will help us investigate.
If you encounter an impostor social media account, please send a direct message (DM) to our official @SoFi account on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, or TikTok.
If an imposter is communicating in Chinese, please contact SoFi Hong Kong. If you’re outside of the United States, we also recommend that you report the incident to the local authorities.
Photo credit: iStock/shapecharge
Investment Products: ARE NOT FDIC INSURED • ARE NOT BANK GUARANTEED • MAY LOSE VALUE
Terms and conditions apply. SoFi Checking and Savings offered by SoFi Bank, N.A. Loans originated by SoFi Bank, N.A., NMLS #696891, or by SoFi Lending Corp. CFL #6054612, NMLS #1121636 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org). Equal Housing Lender. Brokerage products offered through SoFi Securities LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. SoFi Money® is a cash management account, which is a brokerage product. SoFi Securities LLC is an affiliate of SoFi Bank, N.A. Advisory services are offered through SoFi Wealth LLC, an SEC-Registered Investment Adviser. The SoFi Credit Card is issued by The Bank of Missouri (TBOM) (“Issuer”) pursuant to license by Mastercard® International Incorporated and can be used everywhere Mastercard is accepted. SoFi Bank, N.A. Member FDIC.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.